Members of our Emergency Services team and our regional offices have been in Parkersburg, W.Va. since Saturday, overseeing the largest puppy mill rescue operation in state history. All 927 dogs and puppies rescued from the Whispering Oaks Kennel have been examined by veterinarians, given medical review or care, and held in the emergency shelter where they are being cared for around the clock.
© The HSUS/Milani
A new life awaits the rescued dogs.
The Humane Society of Parkersburg has coordinated placement of the dogs at 20 additional humane organizations across the region and, over the next few days, they will be transported to these locations (listed below).
Now, they just need love, patience, and some social rehabilitation. We’re already seeing progress—some of the dogs who cowered in fear and shied from human touch just days ago are becoming more social after only a few days of care. Despite years of neglect and treatment like a cash crop, these dogs still crave human love and affection.
In June, we rescued nearly 700 dogs from a Tennessee puppy mill. We’ve shared several of their stories on our website and I encourage you to take a look—we follow Cricket, Lillee, Molly and Prancer, who are finding comfort in their new homes, and Bullet, who is gaining confidence and trust while he awaits adoption. And as part of our new Rescue Updates page we’ve profiled the proud new families of three of the Tennessee dogs: Piper, Gigi and Dan.
Many of you have written into the blog, eager to open your home and your heart to one of these special dogs from West Virginia, and I’m moved by your generosity of spirit. It’s thanks to your support—and the dedication of the groups involved in these dogs’ rescue—that they now have dramatically better lives.
We encourage you to contact one of the organizations below to inquire about adopting or fostering a dog, as well as the challenges you might expect with a puppy mill dog. And please keep in mind that there are always many wonderful animals waiting for a good home year-round at your local animal shelter.
- Humane Society of Parkersburg – Parkersburg, W.Va.
- Washington Animal Rescue League – Washington, D.C.
- Virginia Beach SPCA – Virginia Beach, Va.
- Dachshund Rescue of North America
- Danville Area Humane Society – Danville, Va.
- Best Friends Animal Society (special needs dogs) – Kanub, Utah
- North Shore Animal League – Port Washington, N.Y.
- The Sterile Feral, Inc. – Rome, Ga.
- Luv 4K9s
- Citizens for Humane Action – Columbus, Ohio
- Lucky Star Cavalier Rescue/English Toy Spaniel Rescue
- Society for Improvement of the Coalition of Stray Animals
- Purebred Rescue Organization of Ohio – Bellbrook, Ohio
- A Forever Home – Chantilly, Va.
- Ohio Federation of Humane Societies, which includes:
- Capital Area Humane Society – Hilliard, Ohio
- Cleveland Animal Protective League – Cleveland, Ohio
- Humane Society of Allen County – Lima, Ohio
- Humane Society of Delaware County – Delaware, Ohio
- SPCA Cincinnati – Cincinnati, Ohio
- Humane Society of Greater Dayton – Dayton, Ohio