On this final day of 2012, I am posting the 10 blogs I wrote during the year that got the most attention and views from readers. Several covered major announcements we made with fast food giants – specifically McDonald’s and Burger King – declaring their opposition to gestation crates and their pledges to phase out procuring pork from operations that use these methods. You were moved by the dozens of rescues we conducted, including a dramatic one in South Carolina in September. You also paid close attention to our undercover investigations of “soring” abuses in the Tennessee walking horse industry, our exposing the sale of dog fur in the United States, and our investigation of a gestation crate facility in Wyoming, which just last week resulted in animal cruelty charges brought against nine individuals working at the plant. Readers also took note of incomplete action on a number of federal animal welfare measures by the Obama Administration; we hope the Administration will significantly step up its commitments to animal welfare policy in 2013.
I write the blog partly to keep readers informed about the incredible breadth of issues that The HSUS and our affiliates work on. We are pushing forward animal welfare reform on so many fronts. I do hope you’ll renew your commitment to The HSUS before the end of the year and consider making an end-of year gift – as a first-time gift or as an additional contribution. And I hope you’ll spread the word about the important work of the organization. We rely on our grassroots supporters to spread the message. Thank you again for your support.
Blog Post: Top 10 Blog Posts for 2012 (in order)
- McDonald’s Moving to End Gestation Crates
- Shocking New HSUS Investigation Leads to Arrests, Horse Rescue
- C Minus: Subpar Score for Obama Administration on Animal Welfare Issues
- Breaking News: Hundreds of Dogs and Other Animals Rescued in South Carolina
- Abhorrent Abuse of Mother Pigs and Piglets Uncovered at Tyson Foods Supplier
- Californians Can Protect Animals and Support Law Enforcement by Passing Proposition 30
- Burger King Leads the Charge for Better Animal Welfare
- For Sale in the United States: Domestic Dog Fur
- Investigative Video Shows Culture of Cruelty in Walking Horse Industry
- The Way Washington Works